Previously on One-Minute Update....
SERVICE TIME CHANGE - Starting tomorrow Sabbath School begins at 10am and Church Service starts at 11am.
SABBATH SCHOOL UPDATES - Refresh SS will meet in the school chapel starting again tomorrow and another adult class will meet in the church sanctuary. Teen SS class will also restart tomorrow. Younger age SS classes will not yet reopen.
LIVE STREAM - Church service will be live streamed at 11am. The temporary Sabbath School live stream has now ceased.
EARLY SERVICE BEGINS SEPT. 12 - This is a special service especially for those who are needing to take special precautions during the pandemic and for their families. Temperature checks, reception of hand sanitizer, and masks (for the entirety of the service) are required. Two rows will be left empty between those in attendance. It will be a short service with no singing (as singing is said to pose a transmission risk) and should conclude by 9:45.
SCHOOL BEGINS - Our College Park Christian Academy's first day of school is Wednesday, Aug. 19.
FUNERAL - Services for Celestine Anyanwu (Eugenia's Husband) are tomorrow - Saturday, August 8 - at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 105 Waugh Street, Columbia. Visitation is 12:00 to 1:00 PM. The service is from 1:00 - 2:00 PM.
RESPONSES NEEDED - CHURCH SERVICE OPTION: We are considering adding an additional service at 9:00 am Sabbath mornings that might be more appealing to those who are isolating during this pandemic. Temperature checks, using hand sanitizer and masks would be required for entry. We would need 25 committed to attending. Presently I know of 3. So, please let me know if you have an interest by replying to this email.
MID-WEEK SERVICE - Re-unite will not be back until the pandemic restrictions ease up. In its place, we are planning a mid-week service to be held in the sanctuary. During these challenging times we need to come together to study and pray even more. Presently we anticipate beginning Sept. 2 @ 6:30 PM in the church.
Church Member's Husband Passed Away - Eugenia Anyanwu's husband, Celestine, passed away Monday evening. Please pray for the family during this sad and difficult time. Celestine had a long battle with cancer and had been in hospice care the last few weeks. Plans for services have not been finalized.
Virtual Camp Meeting - Remember, camp meeting starts tonight at 6:30 and continues through Saturday! To see the full schedule and watch online, go to: imsda.org/campmeeting/
From Andrew Grey: "Hey church family. For those who have been watching the live stream church service each week. Please consider giving it a thumbs up! This does more than express your positive regard. It also increases the chance that people will see the live stream listed and possibly watch it. (At least this is my understanding)"
Congratulations To All Our Graduates! We have cards ready at church tomorrow (for those who are there). We are so proud of and thankful for each one. Please let us know if you are aware of others!
Photo Ministry Launching: We have noticed a need for more pictures from our service and church activities. James Simelus has consented to lead out and organize this for us. If you are willing take pictures for a Sabbath every 4-6 weeks, please let James know. He can be reached by phone at 573.639.0614 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Death in Parmele Family: We are saddened to let you know that Joe's dad, Earl Parmele, passed away on Saturday at age 100. Please keep Joe and his family in your prayers during this time of grief.
Blessings Pantry: Many thanks to Joe, Pat, and Dale for our Blessings Pantry at the church (a picture is attached). This is a tangible way to help meet a real and practical need in the community. You may add food items to it at any time and if you need something, by all means make use of it.
- March 29-April 4 Families A-B
- April 5-11 Families- C
- April 12-18 Families D
- April 19-25 Families E-G
- April 26-May 2 Families H
Okay, so maybe a two-minute update this week ... :)
- Church Online This Sabbath: Please join us as we live stream our worship service this Sabbath at 10:45 am. Sorry, it is only available online. Here is the link: https://www.columbiasdachurch.com/sermons-live-sat-1045am
- Sabbath School: Would you like to go through your SS lesson or take your kids through theirs? If so, you can get the lessons online. Here is the link: https://ssnet.org/
- How To Give: Some members have asked how to return tithes and give offerings with church not meeting. You can do so online at this link: Columbia SDA Giving. You may also mail checks to: 1100 College Park Dr., Columbia, MO 65203
- A Way To Help Out: We have received a request to make masks for local nursing homes here in Columbia to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you wish to help with this urgent need please reach out to Bev Christianson. (573) 447-3277.
- Death In Erickson Family: After battling illness for some time, James Erickson passed away Monday morning. James is the father of Doug and Daniel Erickson and brother of Walt Erickson. The family has decided to wait until after COVID-19 social distancing to hold a memorial service. We will give you more details when they become available. Please join us in praying for the Erickson family.
- One Call Service and Email List: We are beefing up our One Call Now service and email database to keep better connected during this time of social distancing. If you would like a phone number or email address added please reply to this email with the information.
- Re-Unite Via Zoom: We will continue our two Zoom classes and add a new one starting this coming Wednesday evening, April 1 at 6pm. You will need to have your own book to participate. Links are below for the books and Zoom:
-Zoom Link Class: The Blue Zones 2nd Ed.
led by Peter Sutter: Available in print and Kindle The Blue Zones 2nd Ed.
-Zoom Link Class: Experiencing God
new class led by Pastor Hiram: Available in print and Kindle Experiencing God - Revised & Expanded
*You can make sure Zoom video and sound are both working on your phone or computer at any time by using this test link: https://zoom.us/test
Hiram Rester | Pastor, Columbia and Boonville, MO
Columbia Seventh-day Adventist Church: www.columbiasdachurch.com
Iowa-Missouri Conference: https://imsda.org
417-848-7650 | SabbathRester@gmail.com
P.S. - If you need any help or supplies call or text me directly: (417) 848-7650
-Send prayer requests to Pauletta: (573) 999-6811
-Please use your church directories to check on each other regularly.